Skip to: site menu | section menu | main content

English | 中文 | 한국어 | 日本語 | Tiếng Việt

Moses Law Office

Providing Canadian Immigration Services since 1988

Currently viewing: Moses Law Office » Home » Temporary Visas » TRP

Temporary Resident Permits

Temporary Resident Permits are a special category for persons who would otherwise be inadmissible to Canada but who are allowed into Canada on a special case-by-case basis through the issuance of a Temporary Resident Permit. Under Section 63 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), an initial or subsequent TRP may be valid from one day to three years. The TRP is no longer valid if the TRP holder leaves Canada without obtaining prior authorization to re-enter. Categories of inadmissibility include criminal, medical, security, or immigration.

Final Note:

In many cases, persons seeking entry to Canada for a temporary purpose, apply by themselves without legal assistance, especially for a visitor visa. However for cases, where Canadian immigration rejects the applicant, the second attempt is much more difficult, especially for Study Permits or Work Permits. If the applicant seeks the most safe and risk free approach for applying for a Study Permit or Work Permit, professional assistance should be sought from the start, before there is a rejection by immigration or problems arise. Obtaining legal advice as to how to better lay the foundation for a successful temporary visa (Visitor, Study and/or Work Permit) application is very important, especially in the current environment where Immigration authorities have become stricter in applying the temporary visa application rules and regulations. Further, given the current trend toward refusing more and more temporary authorizations, there is a greater need to speak to a qualified immigration lawyer about the risks and pitfalls. As always, the prospective temporary visa applicant, especially for Study and Work Permit applications, should seek proper and honest legal advice in order that the prospective visa applicant does not lose the right to obtain and/or maintain student and/or work status in Canada.

For further information please contact Marvin Moses Law Office.

(Since the issues and matters in reality are quite complex, it is recommended that legal or other appropriate professional advice should be sought before acting upon any of the information contained therein. Although every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this article, no individual or organization involved in either the preparation or distribution of this article accepts any contractual, tortuous, or any other form of liability for its contents or for any consequences arising from its use.)